Thursday, July 18, 2013

Carrots in the Classroom?

During my internship, the other teachers and I were trying to encourage the students to read more books. Well I had recently gotten my Angora's when inspiration struck! I had been struggling to name them and had found the perfect way to combine two of my passions...teaching, and caring for the newest members of the family! Thus, Name That Hare! Was born!

Female (Later named Fiona)

Male (later named Shrek)


Prior to the competition I allowed the students to choose six possible names for both the male and female rabbits. (Two names per rabbit per fourth grade class.)


Here's how it works...

1. Students read books on their level and take an AR (Accelerated Reading) test that tests their comprehension of the book.

2. Students who score an 80% or higher show their reading log to me and I gave them a ticket that they could used to vote on their favorite names. (One boy name and one girl name).

3. On the bottom of the poster I kept a tally of how everyone voted so they could easily see which of the names were winning.

The students LOVED it. They became very competitive and read more so they could vote for the names they loved the most. The winners were Shrek and Fiona (although I thought Mr. Fluffystein was really cute). The competition lasted a month and to keep them encouraged I brought in short videos I taped of the bunnies playing in their pens.

Sometimes it's those impromptu things that just work the best! :)

~That Farm Girl Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.