Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Living the Dream

Don't you just love logging on to Blogger and finding two wonderful posts from two of your favorite bloggers? I have to share their blogs with you because, honestly, I'm just addicted! :) Farmish Momma is one of my favorite Florida ladies and posted the most adorable pictures of a Seussical Baby Shower she helped throw! The photos were adorable and I have to say...I think I've found a theme for my future baby... (which is a long way away, don't get excited!)

 Katy, my favorite lady for tutorials over at No Big Dill also posted an awesome tutorial on how to make a beautiful thimble necklace! (Seriously, I'm in love with this!)

On a different note, today is my last official day of summer. It's interesting how life is, one chapter of my life is closing but so many other doors have been thrown wide open. My classroom is almost ready to go (just waiting on curriculum materials) and I will begin planning with my team Friday. I really feel that I have the best possible team anyone could ask for at one of the best schools possible. One of the teachers I interned with is my team leader and next door neighbor, while the other is just down the stairs. (I will miss her though, she's no longer teaching fourth grade ): ) I have truly been nervous about beginning this new adventure; I've been having horrible dreams for weeks.

A few days ago I began creating an idea I've had in my head for a while now. Next to my classroom library, I made a large paper tree. (I've got a sort of garden theme going in my classroom) The tree is a way to record and celebrate student success as well as motivate the students. As a team we decided that students must earn 10 AR points per month. (AR is a program that tests students on books they've read to check comprehension. They are leveled and more difficult books are worth more points.) The tree I created has levels representing this goal. Each student will make a small owl that will 'climb' the tree the more points they earn! The lines on the tree are sticky Velcro, they will also have Velcro on their owls. I will post more pictures later, when I do my big classroom post, but here is a preview:

As I stood back to admire my work it really hit me that for the first time I was standing in MY classroom. I was living the dream, I was living my dream, a goal I've been picturing for so long has finally come true and I was so overwhelmed with joy that I just stood in the middle of my classroom crying. I can't explain how absolutely wonderful it feels to know that you are doing what you are meant to do. The emotion is so overwhelming, so joyous, and so hard to put into words. I truly hope ever single person gets to experience this feeling once in their lifetime, my goal going forward is that with my help, my students will be able to achieve all of their dreams as well. I am so thankful to the many people who have helped me along my journey, but mostly I am thankful to my parents, they have done so much for my sister and I and wouldn't be standing in the middle of an empty classroom balling my eyes out if it weren't for their love and support throughout the last 21 years. Thank you Mommy and Daddy, I hope to make you proud as I begin this new part of my life...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.