Friday, December 6, 2013

Elf on the CLASSROOM Shelf

 Day One: 
May I introduce you to Hugo, my Elf on the CLASSROOM Shelf! Hugo arrived this morning on the tippy top of my little baby tree... :)

For those of you not familiar with the tradition, the elf sits on your shelf watching the children. The kids can talk to him and he will always listen but they cannot touch him because they will damage his magic. Every night while they are sleeping the elf flies to see Santa and tell whether the children have been naughty or nice. This is obvious because every morning the elf is in a new place...often getting himself into a bit of mischief! The wrapped present under the tree was his accompanying book, "The Elf on the Shelf" My kids were thrilled to see that our Elf arrived and will be staying with us until Christmas. They voted on names and we landed on 'Hugo the Elf' which also happened to be my favorite! Many children said 'goodbye' to Hugo and blew him kisses just before leaving today...it made me so happy! :) I will keep this post updated with Hugo's daily escapades....be sure to check regularly! :)

Day Two:
Hugo decided to make himself at home in his new classroom!
He arrived with a poem because, naturally, elves must always speak in rhyme! :)


Hugo is a name that is just so very cool
That my elf friends are jealous they’re not at your school!
I told Santa how well you all did on Friday’s big test,
He said he believes you are the best of the best!

Without you all here I was so very lonesome,
I hope you don’t mind that I made myself at home some!
I don’t need much except a fake window and a fan,
Throw in a few friends and a bed, my home is built for a gentleman!

I can’t wait to see what’s in store for today,
But before you go to P.E. to play,
I have a quite the surprise for Miss Wooten’s class!
Just follow the directions and you’ll have a blast!

Each morning after you find me wherever I will be…
Take a look underneath your little baby tree
For a poem and some papers for each of you to do…
A gift from a little elf to every one of you!
Day Three:
Hugo is preparing for his gift wrapping test at Elf School! :) The tag says, "Education is a Gift, Use It!"
 
Boys and girls must always go to school,

Because learning new things is always super cool.

But children aren’t the only ones with learning to do!



Scout elves who live in Santa’s north pole,

Must also make learning a very important goal

For an elf without an education is as silly as a troll!



We learn to make toys and cocoa that’s the best,

But now I must study for a very important test,

For I have to do work before I can rest.



On Friday I’ll show off my ability to wrap,

A toy, a bicycle, or even Santa’s cap!

I borrowed Ms. Wooten’s things, to practice before my nap.



Wish me luck!
Days Four/Five:
Unfortunately, Hugo was unable to do much other than move around the classroom the last couple days. He was feeling down because Miss Wooten was sick and he was worried about her, but I'm pretty sure he'll be doing much better tomorrow and be ready to come in with a few surprises for our students! :)

Days Six:
Miss Wooten is doing much better and so is Hugo! He brought us a very special North Pole gift! I apologize that a few of these pictures are late...I may or may not have misplaced the cord that goes with my fancy shmancy new camera! :)

I have a special treat,
For boys and girls to eat,

You see, way up in the North pole
We have many fun things to grow,

I’ve brought you a special pack of seeds,
Plus all of the supplies you will need.

Begin with the cleaned up bowl,
And pour in the special snow,

Take all of the seeds and push them down deep,
And for all weekend let them steep,

And Monday morning you shall see,
How many great surprises there will be!
Days Seven: 
We were all very excited to see if our north pole garden would grow! Check it out! 
So that's how they're made! Hugo has snacked on one candy cane and is now leaning against my pencil holder from sugar exhaustion! :)

Your garden has been growing,
Nearly all weekend long.
I’ve kept on eye on it knowing,
You’d be here before too long.

I’ve sprinkled some precious elf magic,
A little here, a little there,
You see, I knew you’d be ecstatic,
To see what grew where!

I hope that you don’t mind,
But I had just a small snack…
And you’re all so sweet and so kind,
I don’t think you’ll take it back!

Please enjoy your treat
But always remember the rules…
You must only have good things to eat
If you promise never to make a mess at school!
Days Eight: 
For one of the first times this year the temperature here in Florida has dropped below 70! Hugo must have been an elf scout though, because he came prepared! (Get it, Elf Scout? Hehe)
He brought each of our kids a pair of gloves, the girls got beautiful pink one with stars and the boys received handsome green gloves with a basketball on them. Either way, all the kids had toasty fingers when we went to P.E.!
 
Days Nine: 
Hugo arrived by our tree again with a gentle Christmas reminder!

 His note says, "Don't forget your letters to Santa, he will be writing back this Friday!" Almost every child wrote a letter, a few wrote two after I reminded them that they must use their best handwriting! :) Like my mailbox? I fell in love with it at Michaels so my mom bought it for me as an early Christmas present for my classroom!
Days Ten: 
Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the surprise on my students' face this morning as I had a half-day training. Luckily Hugo had some foresight on that front!
His note says, "Behave for your sub today! Don't forget I'm always watching! <3 Hugo P.S. Good Luck on today's math test, I know you'll do awesome!" What a sweetheart! Unf ortunately I forgot to leave a note in my sub plans to tell my sub not to touch Hugo....there was a bit of a mishap and several of my students were REALLY upset when I walked in around noon. I really wasn't expecting that much of an emotional reaction but I did as much damage control as possible and we'll hope that Hugo wasn't too hurt. 
 
Days Nine: 
Luckily Hugo was able to return on our final day before break with a special surprise!

Hugo returned with letters to each child written from Mr. Claus himself! :) Santa was very kind to each of the children and they loved it! He also returned with a small elf band-aid just over his heart, looks like he visited the elf doctor during his North Pole return. We will miss Hugo but we can't wait to see him next year!

Thank you for sticking with me during this year's Elf on the Classroom Shelf posts. Our elf loved sharing his story with you as did I. Check back next year! :)

~Farm Girl Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.