Saturday, November 23, 2013

Arm Knitting-The 30 minute scarf!

A scarf in 30 minutes? Definitely possible!

My two favorite models, Cole and Joann! :)
While recently browsing knitting videos on YouTube, I came across a technique called Arm Knitting. This method of knitting requires you to use your arms in place of knitting needles. Naturally, this produces a much different, but interesting effect. Well you know me, I HAD to try this for myself... (:

***I really encourage you to attempt to learn this technique yourself, however if arm knitting just isn't for you, email me about purchasing a handmade scarf at thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. If you live locally purchase two skeins or Bulky or Super Bulky yarn (The label will tell you what size the yarn is) at a Walmart, Michaels, Joann's, Target, or Kmart. Give me the yarn and $10 and I will return a finished scarf to you within two days. ***


This video is the one I used for my own scarves. I've viewed several, and I think she has the clearest instructions and shows the technique from multiple camera angles. I also make mine by casting on 12 sts, however the number of rows varied depending on the look I was going for.

I'm sure you'll notice I was inspired by Audra's pretty red scarf...This burgundy yarn is size Super Bulky (6).


 This was my first scarf, it took about an hour because I was confused by the casting on instructions and going slowly as I was still learning.

I love that belt! I think I've had it since middle school :)

The second I made for my mom using size Bulky (5) yarn. The yarn itself is variegated, I didn't change colors or anything fancy.


She wears all these colors all the time, it looks perfect with so many of her outfits!

Of course once I had one, and my mom had one, my sister asked me where hers was...


The scarf is made from two strands of yarn held together, so she chose to use two separate colors, Super Bulky (6) to match a jacket she likes to wear. This technique would also look awesome in school colors!

And because I just couldn't get enough of this arm knitting business....


This one was a bit shorter than the other and could also be worn without being looped.


I knew when I saw this yarn at Michaels exactly what I wanted to do with it...I originally bought it to attempt an arm knit blanket for my mom for her birthday. (This is a real thing, shared by one of the other YouTubers with an arm knit video) Well it was absolutely HORRIBLE. I think the blanket the other girl made was just a 'look pretty.' You couldn't use it at all because it didn't hold a shape, and anytime I actually tried to cover myself with it, my foot went through one of the many giant holes....I wound up ripping out the yarn and making two scarves, a short one (shown above) for me, and a longer one for mom.

The technique is super easy and doesn't really require any knitting knowledge. Hope you enjoyed!

P.S. Looking back over my previous posts, I can't believe I was actually lacking in projects not long ago...I am now drowning in a crafty to do list! Next time I post something like that, please slap me back into reality! :)
~Farm Girl Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.