Saturday, November 2, 2013

Learning to Sew: Beginner Worksheet and Bookmark

Sometimes, it can be difficult to determine where that 'square one' is that we need to start. Check out these things we used in sewing club, they are very useful for adults and for children!

My first suggestion for those of you who have never used a machine, or who have recently gotten a new machine, would be to remove all threads and stitch a paper first. This is a great way to get the feel for your machine, practice stitching straight lines/corners, and learn to 'steer' without pressure. I often do this myself on machines I've never used with notebook paper, however I created the following worksheet for my sewing club to provide better instructions, and to make it a little more interesting. When the kids first heard 'worksheet' they looked a bit disappointed, but when they realized they used a machine rather than a pencil to fill out this worksheet, I thought they might die from anticipation! :D


After students got a feel for the machine, they began their first project. Originally I was going to have students sew a scrunchie, but after realizing how many boys I had in the club, I decided to go for something more gender neutral first. I wanted something the students would actually be able to use, and landed on a fabric bookmark. The bookmark is perfect because it doesn't take a lot of supplies to make. (The most expensive part was the interfacing.) I made this pattern guide that I blew up using a poster maker. The students had to check the poster BEFORE they asked me for help. (So they learn to use their resources/gain self-sufficiency. Lol, what can I say, I'm a teacher first.)

You'll notice I didn't give measurements for the fabric rectangles, I pre-cut the interfacing and cardboard for them to use as a stencil. While I initially considered having them perfect their measurement skills, I want to prepare them to use a pattern piece on the next project. The fabric rectangles should be 9" x 3" the interfacing is 8.5" x 2.5" and the bookmarks have a quarter inch seam allowance. The students were responsible for determining the size of their opening, and they quickly learned that too small openings were a pain! :)
I hope you/your children love this as much as my students did. Let me know if you have any questions!
Happy Stitching! :)
~Farm Girl Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.