Monday, November 25, 2013

My First Crochet Sweater!

I was very VERY excited to finish my first crocheted sweater last week! So excited that I wore it despite the 80 degree temperatures... (: I've crocheted shrugs in the past, but I've never taken on something as daunting as a sweater...until a few weeks ago that is!

I love the color of the yarn and the fact that it's wool. Spinning yarn more avidly has inspired me to learn more about fiber. Did you know that wool is known for wicking moisture quickly? That makes it cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. It also means that wool tends to be lighter-weight, even when sopping wet. I thought this was particularly interesting because many years ago bathing suits were woolen! (pre-bikini days)

The pattern came from this book.

A huge part of the reason I've never taken on a sweater is because it's very nerve-wracking and I've heard so many stories or sweaters-gone-wrong. (Don't lie, you know you've all told jokes about Aunt Sally's famous crocheted Christmas sweaters, lol) I hate to admit it but my reluctance, well, refusal, to take on a sweater was built on fear of failure and I just don't like that. A few months ago I decided to overcome this and took a very tiny step...purchasing the above book. This book is awesome because it gives really thorough lessons on how to alter sweater to fit you better. Actually it's all-around awesome for everything you need to know about crochet sweater construction, I've already learned quite a bit...and was apparently inspired by the cover... :D

The sweater primarily consists of double crochet stitches in a diagonal pattern making it fairly quick to complete. I am also hoping that it isn't too hot to be worn during the summer, maybe with a tank top?

The slight taper in the waist is done by changing to a smaller hook in the waist area, I thought this was super clever... (:

Overall I'm pleased with the sweater. Naturally there are things I would change, I'll be honest, it's not my favorite, but I'm proud to have completed my first sweater and have overcome my sweater-making fears! :)

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving! :)
~Farm Girl Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.