Sunday, October 6, 2013

The Woolery: A Review

 
So I've been meaning to post a review on The Woolery ever since purchasing my wheel. Unfortunately I purchase almost all of my spinning/fiber supplies online since there isn't a local spinning store in my area. I tend to go to Etsy first as I'm usually just purchasing fiber, however when it came to purchasing a spinning wheel, I knew it was time for me to find a shop I trusted. I'd heard of other people using The Woolery before, with excellent results. I'd like to share my experience with all of you, bearing in mind that they are not compensating me for this review, just one spinner helping another. :)

When I began shopping for my wheel I decided on the wheel I wanted prior to deciding where I would be purchasing it from. While shopping I found that The Woolery was a good resource for comparing the specs on different wheels as they have a rather extensive variety. They also have YouTube videos posted that I used just to get a better idea of what a few of the wheels looked like and their website is well organized and easy to navigate.

After deciding on my Kromski I went to the official Kromski website to find a dealer more local to me. (The Woolery is based in Kentucky) I did find a little shop in Georgia and mom and I considered taking a weekend road trip to go get the wheel, that way I'd be able to get some onsite advice and try several different wheels. (You know, just in case.) Sadly, all the dealers close enough for us to do that weren't open on the weekends and it became time for me to shop around internet dealers. Nearly all the wheels were priced the same, however The Woolery also offered free shipping, and a 50 dollar gift card, or a beginner's spinning kit valued around 50 dollars. This wound up being the deciding factor for me.

The ordering process was relatively quick and easy, however I managed to mix myself around some how and forgot to choose if I wanted to gift card or the kit. I contacted Customer Service and they were very helpful. They emailed me back promptly and had no problem fixing my mistake. I chose the kit as it came with a Niddy Noddy, and two pounds of wool roving and I would have spent the gift card on a Niddy Noddy and fiber anyway.

My order arrived relatively quickly afterwards. My one complaint is that the assembly instructions weren't my favorite. (I like lots of diagrams, slot A into slot B, etc.) I've never assembled a wheel before and felt a little overwhelmed. That said, The Woolery did have an assembly video posted on their YouTube channel. Using both, I was able to successfully assemble my wheel. Well, sort of, my dad (who is never interested in my 'crafty' endeavors) came in when I was about halfway through and was determined to 'help' me assemble the wheel. He loves all things mechanical and is now attempting to figure out a way to attach a lawn mower motor to my wheel...you know...because that's helpful! lol

Anyway, getting back to my topic, the kit arrived a few days later with a beautiful Kromski Niddy Noddy, the wool roving I thought was very pretty, and a beginner DVD on spinning. I'm not going to lie, the DVD was a bit out of date, but the information was excellent and gave me a much better technical knowledge.

Two-ply yarn that came from the wool roving
 Overall I was very pleased with The Woolery and I encourage you to visit their site. Hands off that beautiful bamboo fiber though, it's already on my wishlist! :) Happy Shopping!

~Farm Girl Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.