Monday, September 23, 2013

Bated Breath

Have you ever felt as though you're in a creative slump and then all of a sudden you get a thousand different ideas for a thousand different projects all at the same time?? That's me right now. After feeling like all my creative juices had run dry I was feeling very slumpy.

The solution? Retail Therapy! (crafter style!) Somewhere in the middle of my online window shopping I realized all of a sudden that I have a job! (Yes, I know I've had a job for years, but fast food doesn't count!) For the first time I could actually afford to finally purchase a spinning wheel!

I've always loved crocheting but didn't fall in love with spinning until visiting a fiber guild meeting near my house. I've been using a drop spindle to spin all my fiber and I have to say I think I'm doing a pretty good job at it! BUT, naturally I've been drooling over everyone else's wheels... Anyway, long story short, I finally forked over the money for one Saturday and I am SO excited for it to get here!

I'm going to wait to spill all the details on it until it gets here but I did want to share the news! :D

In the meantime, the wheel shopping kicked those slumpy creative juices into overdrive! I began by finishing up all the half spun bits of fibers lying next to/on my spindles. After setting the twist in everything and actually emptying all my spindles, I suddenly realized I'd found the perfect project for at least one of the yarns...socks! (To wear when I spin, of course!) While waiting on the yarn to dry after setting the twist, I super groomed my angora bunnies to make sure I had plenty of fiber once my wheel got here! :) Naturally, I needed to make room to store the yarn I finished so I crocheted a quick cowl out of some Super Bulky yarn I had laying around. Unfortunately this is Florida and actually wearing the cowl would be very uncomfortable, however the weather this week happens to be very rainy so....I finished up a raincoat tonight! :) I also practiced Navajo Plying on my spindle with some Angora yarn, and now I'm looking for the perfect low yardage project. I'm thinking an ear warmer would look pretty, especially after the yarn halos. I'm hoping that I can finish up the socks tomorrow, and crossing my fingers that the wheel arrives on Wednesday! I've got a whole host of yarn projects planned for it including spinning a handpainted Shetland Top roving, raw Angora fiber harvested from my bunnies (possibly dyed first?), and tackling my first art yarn!

I'll try and get pictures up as soon as possible. Particularly of the rain coat, but it really depends on the coming weather. Here's hoping the anticipation doesn't kill me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.