Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Refurbished Rocking Chair


Growing up I was convinced that every teacher needs a rocking chair! I vividly remember Ms. Sample's wooden rocking chair, there were certainly many wonderful memories there including read-alouds of my favorite stories, calender math every morning, and show-and-tell. (She didn't call it that, but I can't remember what it was called. It was pretty cool though, each week a different student got to do the calender in the morning and share things about themselves.) It was awesome getting to stand in front of class that day in my red tights and get the morning started! :)

Unfortunately a rocking chair is one of the pieces of furniture I was missing. Luckily a teacher at my mom's school was changing careers and asked Momma if she knew anyone looking for a rocking chair! It was well loved, to the point where the seat had busted through but I knew with a little handiwork it would look good as new for the next generation to love. :)



As you can see the paint is chipped a bit and a few screws were coming loose (haha, clearly a sign it was meant for me!) The overall structure of the rocking chair was actually really pretty, I particularly liked the runners. Over the course of about a week I fixed it up and I'm proud to say it has gotten plenty of use already in my class....


I started by ripping out the old seat and reinstalling a plywood one I'd cut based on a template I made from a piece of cardboard. (Let's face it, my dad cut the corners because my saw work was a little wonky...but I did everything else, I promise!)


Afterwards I tightened some of the screws that had worked their way out from normal use and sanded the old paint in the areas where it was chipping. Then I primed the rocking chair once, and gave it two coats of paint. This color is actually called, "Biltmore" one of our family's favorite vacation destinations! :)


Unfortunately the seat was still a little rough so I added a cushion and, viola, my very own rocking chair! :) So far I've mostly used it when reading "A Land Remembered" to the class. The students also take turns sitting in it during silent reading. I was worried they'd fight over it but they've been particularly considerate with each other about taking turns! They make me so proud sometimes. :)

Enjoy your Wednesday!
~Farm Girl Teacher

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear that she passed it on, That ole Rocking Chair started its Journey in NY where it rocked babies to sleep(cousins of Jenn's)Then it came into our family for our Grandson...his mama wanted new so this made its way to Florida with us where it too home in Jenn's classroom....where it indeed received much "lovin".
    If only it could share the stories of the babes that it rocked and were read to from it....I wish you many happy years a rockin! Peggy D'Angiolillo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when objects have a back story~ While I was sanding it and painting it I kept wondering what the rocking chair would say if it could talk. I actually kind of made up my own story for it since I didn't know its history! (Sanding is really boring, you get a lot of time to think...) Your story is so much more touching! It really is a beautiful chair and I'm thankful to have have it in my class where I can add another chapter to it's history.

      Delete

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.