Monday, January 19, 2015

Chevron Maxi Skirt

Can I just jump right in here and say that maxi skirts might be my absolute favorite piece of clothing in the world? Seriously, the right maxi is like the yoga pant of the 'fancy' world. I have great (but likely misguided) confidence that it will never go out of style, but either way, I'm going to enjoy it as long as possible.

The hardest part of shopping for a maxi is finding one the right length. Out of LOTS that I've tried on, only about 2 actually fit well without alterations. Luckily, they're super easy to make. :) I like using this tutorial for circle skirts a lot in general, because it doesn't require a pattern, just measurements and (relatively) simple math. For the maxi length I follow the 'quarter' instructions. This is perfect because it's not too full or too straight, and doesn't use a ton of fabric.

Even following these instruction, I add length to my measurements because it's MUCH easier to hem shorter, than try to add later. Another secret I learned when I hem anything by myself, is to use another piece of clothing as a guide. Basically, complete everything EXCEPT the hem, then get a similar garment that you like the length of and use it as a template. This is how I do dresses, skirts, pants, etc. to get the perfect fit, and do it without help. The most important thing is making sure the fit is similar. (For example, don't use a high-waisted pant to hem a low-rise)

I've been drooling over this fabric over at Hobby Lobby for a few months now, but it was a little expensive for me. I was so excited when I happened to stumble over it in the clearance bin last Friday! It's actually a plain stripe, not chevron, so I bought two yards so I had some leeway when creating the chevron. It drives me crazy if the stripes don't match and I was thankful I went ahead and grabbed two yards, I needed it! I also love that it's a stretch knit so I didn't have to bother with a closure.

Now, I told you I used the quarter pattern, but that's only partially true. Following this pattern would result in one, continuous piece of fabric. In order to create the chevron, I needed four separate panels, so I used a different maxi dress as the pattern. (The other dress was made using the link I provided) I folded the skirt part into fourths, and pinned it to use as a pattern template. I carefully noted where the center seam would be, and then used a quilting ruler to place that seam at a 45 degree angle to the stripes, also ensuring the chevrons would point down. I cut out two pieces at a time (fabric was right side together) and was also very careful to match the stripes up while the fabric was folded, and when cutting the second time. After cutting, I seamed the center seams and side seams, added a 6 inch piece of elastic in the back, finished the top, and added a blind hem in the bottom. I'm considering taking the hem up just a tad more, but overall I'm really pleased with the result. :) 

It only took about an hour, and wouldn't have taken that long had I not spent 15 minutes trying to figure out how to fold the fabric. (Use a stripped piece of notebook paper and do a "practice" run if you're nervous.) I was able to wear it to church the next day, and it must have looked good because even though Eric didn't really like the fabric in the store, he complimented me on it several times. :) I hope you feel inspired and find my tips are helpful. Have a great week!
~Farm Girl Teacher

P.S. Thanks to my wonderful photographer/mother for braving the gnats for me! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.