Friday, January 2, 2015

Handspun Yarn!

I get to share some very exciting news today! (I was planning on making this post sooner, but after spending a few hours having my tire repaired, it's posting a little late. I know it's short notice for some, but I hope you can make it regardless!) For a few months now, I have joined two very amazing ladies at a local farmer's market here in Central Florida. They have goat and sheep and make beautiful soaps, lotion bars, lip balms, fudge, and more using milk from their goats. I've mentioned one of them before as being responsible for getting me involved in spinning, and always being available for a crafty consultant when I get stuck. (Seriously, she's amazing) Every farmer's market, I sit at their booth and do a spinning demonstration. I enjoy the opportunity to meet new people and talk to them about an art I love, and one that's often not well known. I meet tons of kids and they love asking questions about spinning and about the goat and sheep that we bring to the market as well. (And I get to eat fudge) :D Several people have requested that I offer my yarn for sale, and while I was initially reluctant, I'm pleased to announce that I will have a few skeins for sale at tomorrow's market! I hope to see anyone who lives here locally, it's a wonderful market and has a plethora of handmade goods, delicious food and more.

Here is some of the yarn I've spun recently. There are a few skeins I'm still debating keeping for myself, but the majority of it will be at the market tomorrow.

This was from round one of spinning:
The first is an orange wool, single ply yarn. It is approximately 75 yards in sock/fingering weight.
The second is a brown wool, also single ply. It is approximately 81 yards in lace weight.
Third is a single ply dark gray wool, approximately 58 yards in bulky weight.
Fourth is a two-ply light gray yarn approximately 55 yards in bulky weight.
And finally is a three-ply gray and pink yarn approximately 93 yards in super bulky weight. (The last two are the ones I'm debating keeping for myself :D )

This is round two and are still hanging to dry. I'm slightly worried the last one won't be completely dry before tomorrow, so there is a small chance it won't be there.
The first is a 'candy cane' 2 ply, gray and teal. 113 yards of Bulky weight yarn.
The second is also a 'candy cane' 2 play using the same color teal and a pale yellow. It is 26 yards of worsted weight yarn.
The third is a green that kidn of reminds me of a 'military' green. It's 157 yards of sport/fingering weight.
Finally is a coffee colored 2 ply brown. 317 yards of bulky weight yarn.

 ***Please note, my measurements are approximate. Please keep in mind that variations in yarn weight are a normal part of handspun yarn. I use a wpi method to determine yarn weight.

I can't find a website to link to but it's called The Marketplace at Hibiscus Park. This came from the Chamber of Commerce Website:
From 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Hibiscus Park, 7th Street and Bougainvillea Ave Dade City
Contact: Lucy Avila 352-521-5858
Event Email: lucyvila7070@gmail.com

First Saturday of each Month (September 2014-May 2015)
Come shop our relaxing, outdoor, vendor-friendly market place in Hibiscus Park. Locally grown produce, plants, arts & crafts, and so much more!

Wish me luck and hope to see you there! :)

~Farm Girl Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.