Monday, May 5, 2014

Formal Wear: Choosing your Pattern

I'm so excited about this formal wear series, inspired by my experience sewing my sister's prom dress! Check it out, here, if you haven't seen it yet. Please let me know if you have any special requests. :) 
~
Everyone has different starting points when they begin a project, and there is no 'right' or 'wrong' ways to begin but I will share my methods and maybe help you if you're feeling overwhelemed. :) 

Sometimes, I am inspired by a fabric to make a particular dress. Other times I find an amazing pattern and then choose fabric to compliment. Sometimes, as was the case with Miranda's prom dress, I know what I want (or, what she wants) so I look for a pattern or fabric that fits what's in my head. (Costumes come to mind!)
In order to get an idea of what Miranda was interested in, I created several different sketches showing different parts of the dress and different styles. (In a beautiful journal she gave me.) I definitely suggest doing this if you plan on sewing several formal dress, or doing multiple bridesmaids dresses in different styles. Keep in mind that there ARE other styles, but many of them are against the school's dress code so I didn't list them as a choice. Remember, like I tell my kids, I am NOT an artist! :)
I began with as many necklines as I could think of....
I showed a few different sleeve styles.... 

I then drew as many backs as I could think of....
and finally, I asked her to choose her favorites in each section. (Indicated by the star)
I used her favorites to show her a few examples of final products....I was really gunning for the Avante Garde :) Did anyone else learn that word from Project Runway? lol
I also reworked these drawings based on Google image searches of examples of what she wanted. For example, did you know there's like tons of different ways to make a one-shoulder dress?

Finally, I scoured different pattern companies in order to find a pattern that fit the design she wanted. We finally landed on, McCall's M6466. 
This pattern is close but not perfect. I knew I'd have to lengthen the skirt in order to make it full-length, and she didn't love the style of this one-shoulder, so I drafted my own pattern for it. You can also buy two patterns and combine them, i.e., the bodice from one plus the skirt from another. 

After all of this, we went fabric shopping. While shopping, she was inspired by the feathers, so I did a few additional drawings illustrating ways we could attach them to the dress.


Hope you enjoyed!
~Farm Girl Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.