Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mother's Day Quilt

Happy Mother's Day to all the hardworking mom's out there! :)  You truly have the most difficult job in the world!

I'm going to be taking a break from my formal wear series right now to share one of my favorite projects in honor of Mother's Day.

Last year, my sister and I worked together to sew a very special quilt for our mom.
My mom had been saving t-shirts for years from things we were involved in. My sister and I collected all of these and refurbished them into this quilt. It has everything from VBS shirts to school shirts, sports jerseys to vacation destinations and now they can be easily enjoyed, instead of being stuffed into a box for 'someday.'

I have to honest with you, I kind of hate quilting, however this was easily one of my favorites, despite it being relatively challenging. The hardest parts were incorporating the massive amount of clothing, and matching up quilt blocks from t-shirts we wore before we could walk, to t-shirts we purchased as adults. For several things I kind of appliqued the graphic part of he shirt onto a background from another t-shirt, or combined two or three shirts into one block. The t-shirt material results in a very soft quilt that is certainly filled with memories. :)

I was also super nervous that the whole thing would go south and my mom would just wind up being really ticked that we cut up all our t-shirts. Luckily, everything was smooth sailing, and she wound up loving it! :)

What crafty things have you done for your mom?
~Farm Girl Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.