Monday, December 29, 2014

Bucket Truck Pillow

As I discussed previously, this is one of the Christmas gifts I made for my a family member. You can see this post for more information. This would also make a wonderful new baby gift, retirement gift, new hire gift, etc.

He is 7 or 8 and loves everything about his dad's job as a lineman. This customized pillow has his name on the front, his dad's bucket truck, and the back is made from one of his dad's work shirts! I actually think he had a hard time deciding which of the sides he liked better! This pattern is available for free at my Ravelry and Craftsy stores. If you came here through those sites, welcome! Hopefully I can give a bit more insight here.

They were the inspiration behind last year's present, too! :)
There are so many ways to customize this pattern! You can change the name (I included an alphabet in the pattern), or if you're making this for an adult as a retirement gift, take the name off entirely and change it to the hire year, or a nickname. (Number chart is also included) Make the logo specific to another company, or take it off entirely, alter the colors, pick a unique backing, etc. Please email me at thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com if you need assistance, or if you'd like to order a finished pillow from me.

I'll start with my inspiration. As I mentioned before, Gege Crochet made a really awesome Mario afghan that served as my initial muse. It began when I had an interest in why exactly one would want to learn to do the Afghan Stitch or Tunisian Crochet. Everything I'd seen so far seemed dull as it was always worked in one color and seemed easy to do the same thing with knitting or crochet. I stumbled on her YouTube videos accidentally and fell in love with the technique and the unique pattern she was creating. If this is your first time doing the Afghan stitch, or if you've never attempted doing all these crazy color changes I SERIOUSLY recommend her YouTube tutorials. It was how I learned and I found I needed little to no outside assistance as I was learning. Even if you're pretty well-versed, at least watch her video on making color changes. Doing it 'wrong' can create holes in your project, and tie your yarn into a knot the size of your head.

I dove right in, actually starting with a laptop case I started for my sister. (And still haven't finished, I know, I know, don't judge.) She wasn't really using a pattern for say, but was using pixelated pictures. The Mario game lends itself well to that as it is very 'blocky' but I was trying to create a horse, and didn't even know where to begin. Other patterns weren't specific to my task, and didn't look like my sister's horse. Finally, I pulled out some grid paper, taped four sheets together, and started making my own pattern.

The 'pattern' for Lawton's pillow.
I found that the best way to do this was to basically draw the design I wanted in pencil as if there wasn't grid paper, and then go back and match the blocks to the penciled in drawings. For example, I drew the circle of the wheel, then matched squares to my original line, keeping it symmetrical. This is really useful for curved lines because before doing this, everything with a curve basically looked...stupid. I also ran a quick crayon over it, sometimes in the actual color I wanted, more often in whatever was handy to get a better idea of the overall affect. When stitching, you'll begin in the bottom right hand corner and work up.

Gege didn't add much to the fabric after she'd stitched it, mostly because it wasn't really necessary for her design, but as soon as I finished this one I knew I had to add to it. I grabbed my yarn needle and yarn and used back stitching to add doors in the bed of the truck, a truck number, a step under the drivers door, outlining around his name, lines for the fender, the 'w' in the logo, lines along the top of the bed to add shadowing, etc. I also used cross stitches to make the head lights and tail lights (I forgot them originally) and half cross stitches to make the slope of the boom a little more gentle and not so 'stair-steppy.' I also slip sitched over the diagonals in the logo to make them pop more. I wish I'd taken photos pre and post embellishments so I can show you how remarkable the change was, but I really think this was a design where the embellishments made a huge difference in the overall look.

I had a little fun with the yarns used as well. The hubcaps aren't actually yarn, but quarter-inch silver metallic ribbon. The yarn used in the name is a beautiful hand-spun, variegated yarn I bought at a LYS in Asheville, NC that I'd been saving for the 'perfect' project. The stripes weren't originally planned. I planned on using the yellow at the bottom for the entire pillow, I knew I'd run out and bought more, but alas, when I arrived home I found it was just a shade off, the result of coming from a different dye lot. I was NOT starting over, so the stripes were a solution to this speed bump. I actually wound up liking the stripes better than I would have liked a solid yellow background.

Originally I was going to use a denim backing, but I thought a more personal touch would be to use the actual shirt used by the company. My dad also works there, but I really wanted the shirt to be specific to Lawton so through a lot of help from his mom, a friend, and my sister, they were able to get the shirt to me just in time! If you'd also like to use a shirt, I wouldn't suggest going smaller than a men's size medium. You could certainly use a smaller shirt, but know you'll probably need to do some patching in order to make it large enough. To get the perfect size, I pinned the finished front to the shirt and cut around it. You could probably use pinking shears to prevent fraying but I wanted to be double-sure this would last for many years, so I completed a double-fold machine hem, first. You could also serge the edge, or complete any hem you prefer. Using a yarn needle and embroidery thread or tatting yarn, complete a blanket stitch around the perimeter. You'll want to insert the needle about a quarter inch from the edge (or just under your hem, if you created one) and make each stitch about a quarter inch apart.

Using the blanket stitched edge, join the front and back together, wrong sides together using a single crochet stitch. If you are using a  button-up shirt like mine, you can stuff through the button, otherwise leave a small section open along the edge and remember to stuff it before you finish closing. My favorite part about this, is probably the fact that you don't have to weave in a million ends, just stuff them in the pillow. :)

To make up for stealing his shirt I also made dad a coozie. :) There's not a pattern for this, I pulled a coozie out of our kitchen drawer and stitched the sleeve around it.
 
I'd also like to share some important "Do's" and "Don'ts" I learned using the afghan stitch:
DO: Customize this pattern, or create your own, I promise you can do it!
DO: Watch the Gege Crochet tutorials on YouTube, especially the one on color changes.
DO: Take lots of pictures of the process, I really wish I had taken more. 
DO: Stay organized when arranging the skeins, the order you use them is best.
DON'T: Try to travel with this. This is really not the project you work on in the car or at the doctor's office. Sometimes you'll have so many skeins attached at once you'll have more of a headache untying the knots than it's worth.
DON'T: Over embellish. Step away from the work OFTEN and eliminate the inclusion of truly unnecessary details that would clutter and take away from the design rather than add to it. (For example, I chose not to include a line for the driver's door as it would clutter the area around the logo.
DON'T: Be afraid to ask your family member for their opinion. My dad was especially helpful on this one. He works for the company and was really helpful for advice on getting the correct proportions when designing the pattern, and determining which of the embellishments were unnecessary. (I tried this wacky single crochet thing on the boom and he let me know it looked like a hot mess. Trust me--he was right!)
DON'T: Design the pattern in one sitting. Step away from it often to get an overall perspective and clear your head after a while. This is more important than you realize. Had I not stepped away from this pattern and done some dishes, I would have made a truck with very tiny wheels. It's amazing the things you'll miss if you spend too long staring at the same thing without taking a break.

I really hope you enjoy this pattern and it inspires you to make your own! :)

~That Farm Girl Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.