Saturday, December 27, 2014

Merry Christmas

I know, I haven't made good on my promises, but I will be making up for it soon, I ..er.. promise :D Between wedding planning, work, and school, I haven't had a ton of free time, and most of what I do have goes towards actually crafting...instead of blogging about crafting. Hopefully I will work my schedule out better, but for now, let me show you what I've been working on.
From left to right. Horses: Tux, Jose, Drew Piney. Dogs: Mandy Cole. Standing people: My dad, Randy, and sister, Miranda. Sitting people: Me, my mom, Tammy. For the story of our annual family Christmas photo, click here.

By the way, I know it's past Christmas, but Santa brought the Wooten household the flu for Christmas and we're just running behind in general. :)

Every year for Christmas I give the children in my family handmade gifts. (To see last year's, click here.) This year, I decided to use some new skills I learned with the afghan crochet stitch (sometimes called Tunisian crochet) to make personalized pillows for each of them. I was really inspired by an amazing Mario afghan crocheted by the INCREDIBLE Gege over at GegeCrochet. (Link: here, seriously, go check it out, it's amazing!!!) She also has wonderful tutorials on her YouTube profile I recommend if you are new to this technique, I used her videos myself when I was learning. All of these patterns were created by me, I'll talk a little bit about the process I use to create them here, and again when I 'officially' share these patterns. I'm still working on how to transfer them from paper into a digital format, and will be putting them on Craftsy and Ravelry as soon as I'm finished.

This was the first one I made for my cousin, Tiffany. The original horse design actually came from a different pattern I made for a laptop case for my sister. The coloring is designed to actually look like her horse, Drawdy, and the pillow features a fringed forelock/mane, a metal ring for the halter, textured yarn in the heart, and hand spun yarn (by me) inside the horse's ears. The backing of the pillow is a cool faux leather fabric I've had laying around waiting on the perfect project.


The next pillow was designed for my cousin, Lawton. His father works as a lineman for the local electric company. He is all boy and loves everything about his dad's job. This bucket truck was designed with this in mind, featuring his dad's actual truck number and company logo. The pattern also has silver ribbon in the hubcaps, and variegated, hand spun yarn (Not by me, I purchased it about a year ago in North Carolina) for his name. The backing for this pillow is cut from one of his dad's old work shirts to add an even more personal touch. (I actually think he like this side more! haha)

To make up for cutting his shirt, I also made his dad this coozie from the sleeve. :) There's nothing special about it, basically I just dug a coozie we already had out of the drawer and sewed it into the sleeve.

Finally, this was for my cousin, Ethan. He has really been into Star Wars lately and his mom told me he draws Storm Troopers every time you turn around. This was actually the most challenging for me, mostly because I didn't have the slightest idea what a Storm Trooper actually looked like. After several Google Image searches, I arrived at this pattern and I think it's pretty close. The additional back stitching around the mouth (do they have mouths?) is what really bring it together. The pillow also has silver ribbon stitches to imitate stars and textured yarn for his name and the border. The backing of this one is a fleece fabric with realistic-looking images of the Solar System. I forgot to take a photo of the back before wrapping it though. :(

I still have two more pillows and a laptop case I'm working on that use similar techniques. When I share each of the patterns I'll talk a little more about what went into each of them. These shots are of the patterns I used to make them. As you can see, I taped grid paper together to design them and used crayons to color things in and get a better overall idea of how each would look. You may also notice that some things changed between the first design and the final product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.