Wednesday, July 24, 2013

A Very Vintage Surprise

Today has been a wonderful day with loved ones to say the least. After spending the morning helping my boyfriend study for a college entrance exam I am very happy to be able to report that he officially passed! Afterwards, it was off to grandmother's house (or Granny "Woot" as she is affectionately known as around here) to visit. I was pleasantly surprised by a few crafty things to add to my collection. Granny Woot was the one who initially showed me how to chain stitch and the one who allowed me to spend hours experimenting with her sewing machine after school. Today she shared some vintage patterns with me.



This book, The Family Crochet Book was published in 1971. It has some very cute patterns as well as some very....interesting....patterns! Case in point:




Can someone please tell me exactly what a trouser suit is and where and on what occasion you would find yourself wearing it? LOL, I guess I should be thankful I wasn't born in the 70's.
I also picked up two patterns after digging through TONS of vintage patterns that have been in storage a very long time.



I'm thinking the suit on the right looks nice (sans jacket) and I hope to use the coat pattern (left) to make a raincoat for this rainy Florida weather we've been having....

Of course I don't want you to get the wrong impression, my grandmother does purchase modern patterns as well...



This nifty little contraption is full of 101 various crochet stitches. It is an excellent guide to the basic stitches as well as some more elaborate things. Sidesaddle Cluster Stitch anyone? The front of each card has a great picture of the finished product, and the back has the stitch diagram, as well as written instructions. I'm really excited to begin attempting some of these!



I am also very happy to report that I began passing along my crochet knowledge to the next generation of our family, my cousin Tiffany. She will be entering fifth grade next year and was looking for something to do during the summer. She is practicing her chain stitches now and tomorrow I will be surprising her with some very pretty variegated yarn so she can began something more advanced... (this clutch, I designed). I hope to post a photo of her creation very soon! :)

Happy stitching!

~Farm Girl Teacher





No comments:

Post a Comment

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.