Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Stash Bash Challenge!

For the first time in what feels like a very long time, I have a summer almost completely free! As a result I challenged myself to finish as many half-finished projects as possible! (Believe me, I have enough for the next six summers, lol) Anyway, I feel as though I've plateaued a bit, mostly because I add projects to my list faster than I can finish things, I'm hoping that by sharing some of my creations I can inspire myself to continue to the next project! Yay!

So let's begin with one of the projects I started a very long time ago. Back in 2009 our family adopted two wonderful Corgis from Jacksonville, FL. They have been a wonderful part of our family these last several years. When we first got the dogs my sister had this blanket, a.k.a. "Blankie," a blanket my mom crocheted over 20 years ago. My dog, Mandy, LOVED the blanket and laid on it all the time so I decided I would crochet her an afghan of her own.... I dug through my grandma's crochet pattern books and found a vintage book with a pattern I loved. (I'll fill in the book's information later, it's packed away in a box right now as we're redoing part of our floor)

Yes, she's yawning :) I didn't notice until I uploaded it....
Anyway I bought two beautiful shades of pink and began working. I finally finished about a week ago and I'm actually really proud! It definitely took some time but Mandy loves it! (Even if I'm less enchanted by the colors than I originally was--I'm terrible at picking out matching yarn colors.) The only modification I really made was that I used both shades of yarn in the fringe instead of just the main color. Partially, because I was running out of the main color, and partially to tie in the colors in the rest of the afghan. 


So cute :) She's come so far, she used to hate getting her picture taken!
So my next project was actually given to me as a Christmas present a while ago. My parents picked out what they thought was your average embroidery/cross stitch kit, however later realized it was a punch needle kit. Now I've never heard of punch needle but thought it sounded interesting, however I had to buy the punch needle separately. I went to the local Walmart, but unfortunately they'd just gotten rid of a major part of their craft section. For years I stayed on the look out for a punch needle for every fabric or craft store I walked into, however I just couldn't find it, so the kit sat, unopened. Finally, my family and I were staying in Sevierville, Tennessee when we came across a small cross stitch store in nearby Pigeon Forge. (Yes, a whole store dedicated to cross stitch, I didn't know it was possible either!) Anyway, I finally found a punch needle and fell in love!


When using the punch needle you actually work from the back of the fabric and the right side is the one facing away from you. The result is that the right side of the fabric has many loops made from the fabric. Of course, one of the downsides is that when you move the hoop you most likely will have to clamp some of the loops between the hoops.

I really like the effect, however I do feel that the smaller details don't show up quite as well because they're dominated by the other loops nearby. It's also weird to frame, because the glass smushes the loops down. I wound up removing the glass altogether.
Finally, I finished a cross stitch I picked up at the same store. The cross stitch was purchased on the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina. My mom and I have passes to the estate and love visiting so I thought this was a wonderful way to combine my crafting passion with my passion for historic America! The kit is from the Posy Collection. This collection is one of my favorites as it 'preserves America's history in stitches.' You seriously have to go visit their site here, it's awesome!
The one I purchased is a sampler with the house itself at the bottom. I have to admit, ever since I fell in love with The Little House Series in third grade, I have had a small but fervent obsession with samplers. 
It's actually kind of amazing that there is so much detail in house. (Both the actual house and the cross stitch version!) My favorite of course is the grand staircase! Under the house 1895 is the year the house was finished, my initial are on the left, and the year I finished is on the right. 

My Mommy and I in December :)
 I was amazed by the accuracy considering the size comparison, this collection is really remarkable! 
And finally, I want to include a quilt I actually made for my mom for Mother's Day. My sister and I put this together from all of our old clothing from when we were younger. There's a shirt from rodeos, every school we attended, 4-H, FFA, Halloween costumes, fairs, and so much more! It really is very cool and we were proud :)

Have a wonderful day and please drop me a line! :)
~That Farm Girl Teacher

2 comments:

  1. Did I know that you crocheted? (Did we talk about it at PHS?) Do you knit, too? I have a couple punch needle kits that I've been storing for a while and just taught myself last week how to do it. One kit down, 4 to go! I think the most frustrating part is how often I have to rethread the needle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually just Facebook stalking you and fell in love with your crochet jellyfish cover photo. :) We talked about it briefly I think, I know how to knit but I don't do it very often, I have to admit. I recently bought a Knook at Walmart, but I don't feel that I've really mastered it yet. I would like to do a few knit projects using the Knook but I'm worried about how well the patterns will translate.

    I felt like I was constantly refiling my punch needle, too, but on the other hand I felt like I covered much more surface area than with your average cross stitch. My biggest problem was that I kept placing my hand on the bottom of the fabric and stabbing myself :( lol.

    You really should check out the Posy Collection of cross stitch kits, especially if you enjoy history, they're really well done!

    ReplyDelete

Like what you see?

I'm often asked if I will make custom projects or sell my work. The short answer is, yes.
My patterns are always free, but I do charge for projects mostly to cover the cost of resources, and my time. Basically, if you see something you like and want me to make it, I'd be happy to talk to you. The best way to contact me is through my email thatfarmgirlteacher@gmail.com. I can make nearly anything and I've had people in the past send me photos of what they're interested in. Time to make it, cost, and more can be discussed through my email and varies greatly based on what you'd like made.
I also sell my hand spun yarn at our local Farmer's Market. I don't really sell yarn online because my inventory varies greatly, however if you know you want something specific, I can usually work something out with you, again, just send me an email.